I am Truly inspired by the legendary MILKHA SINGH jee.Last night when I was watching Bhaag milkha bhaag closely for the third time, I realized that there are some lessons from him which can be implemented in our investing pattern as well.Upon meeting him , this belief grew stronger and presenting a list of few of them:
- Stay focussed: Like Milkha Singh, we need to be focussed at all the times towards our goals. He couldn’t have achieved what he had by taking his aim lightly and by practising as and when he feels comfortable or practising half heartedly. So, Investment should be done with focus on goals and not just Hanky panky and it will go up in the air like that. For example: If the goal is Child marriage, focus on building corpus for the same.
- Hard work has no substitute: The amount of Hard work Milkha Singh puts in his passion is commendable. He is not even aware about day and night, hot and cold at times. He is aware about one single thing i.e his win and breaking the record. He could do so because he kept thinking about the outcome of his efforts.Likewise, we will have to work hard to get good results. “What we sow is What we reap.” We will have to keep sowing to reap tasty fruits. Stay disciplined and committed by investing regularly without any miss thinking about the outcome everytime.
- Don’t worry about the World: Milkha Singh was unaffected about the people around him. In one scene, When he gets beaten up for wearing India coat by his rival, his passion grew more stronger. He took India coat as a challenge and kept walking to get one. In our life, we often consider small hindrance or hear sayings or anyone else’e experience with his investments as obstruction or excuse for not investing. This should not happen until and unless you do your own research . No two people have same goals in life, you should be working towards your goal with due diligence ofcourse and not get influenced by what others have to say about your portfolio. You are the best judge.
- Nothing comes easy in Life: From the beginning, we have seen the amount of hardships Milkha Singh went through, Lost his family, house, brought up without parents, Deprived of basic needs , got rejected by army. During his training sessions, he was hurt very badly at times..one should understand that the Grass on the other side is greener not because of anyone’s luck but because he must have taken good care of it. So, in life rather than depending on what’s in store for us, we should keep walking towards our goals and keep doing our bit. You will have to deal with upside and downside of your investments, afterall it has to be like ECG graph…volatile and full of life. Choose an investment product wisely and directly linked to your Risk taking appetite.
- Become an inspiration for others: Let people take your examples even when you are gone. Set an example for the entire world. Planning in right direction can help you do that. If i could relate the same to my life,I lost my father 8 years back when he was just 47 due to Cardiac arrest. Now when we look back, being an average educated of the 1960s, the amount of planning he has put in his investments is remarkable. My mother can eat and live all her life in all circumstances. So, the idea is to not only to plan but plan in such a way that coming generations should actually walk on your footsteps. Taking right decisions at the Right time is very important to grow.
- Never NeVER NEVER Give up: Last but not the least Never give up on anything that comes in your way. You never know that the same might be the last time that you are being tested upon. Life is full of miracles and surprises. The exit point of your investments should be only when the goal arrives.
I had a chance to see and listen to Milkha Singh jee at a conference few days back…He is truly an Inspiration for all of us.
To summarize Learnings from his life: Life is a journey full of Hard work, pain & challenges, Focus &Belief will help rise above everything, Never Never NEVER give up and lastly Keep Running, You will reach the FINISH line !!!
Gurleen Kaur Tikku is a Financial Consultant and devotes her time to her company www.hareepatti.com. She has done her Bachelors in Finance and Investment Analysis(BFIA) from College of Business Studies(CBS, Delhi) and MBA from IMT, Ghaziabad. Currently she is also pursuing her studies in order to become a Certified Financial Planner. She can be Contacted at [email protected]