The Unique Identification authority of India (UIDAI) has rolled out a new a new form of Aadhaar card for kids below the age of 5 years which would popularly be known as ‘Baal Aadhaar’. Baal Aadhaar literally means an Aadhaar card for kids and the blue color signifies and differentiates it from the regular one. This card would be linked with one of parent’s Aadhaar card. Most of the other governments ID cards need an individual to be at least 18 years of age. However, Aadhaar card is not one of those documents and even a new-born can enroll for it.
While issuing the ‘Baal Aadhaar card’, there’s no requirement of biometrics of the child. Instead, demographic details are taken from one of the Aadhaar cards of the parents. Once the child turns 5, Baal Aadhaar is updated with the biometric data and unlike any other Aadhaar card; it is also in 12 digits. Once the biometric data is fed after the child turns 5, he/she gets a regular Aadhaar card. A lot of Hospitals have started initiating the practice of handing over the Baal Aadhaar acknowledgement slips along with the birth certificates.
In case you wish to enroll your child for Aadhaar card, you need to visit an Aadhaar Enrollment Centre and pass through the following steps –
- Visit an Enrollment Centre and fill the enrollment form
- You would need to submit your child’s birth certificate along with one of the parent’s Aadhaar card
- No biometric data is required to be given
- Demographic data is collected from one of the parent’s Aadhaar card
- Baal Aadhaar is then linked with the Aadhaar number of one of the parent
- After completion of the process, an acknowledgement slip is handed over which contains details like the Enrollment ID with a 14 digit enrollment number
- The same ID can be utilized to verify the status of Aadhaar generation
- Baal Aadhaar is then generated and sent on the registered address of the parent in a time period of 90 days from the date of enrollment
While a lot of parents would argue on the fact that why would a small child require an Aadhaar card, so we’ve listed and identified a few benefits for small kids –
- Baal Aadhaar would serve the purpose of an identity card while travelling or staying in hotels
- While a lot of schools have started demanding the parents to mention their child’s Aadhaar number, a specific card like Baal Aadhaar would help in such a case during the admission process
- Also, for the kids to avail the benefits of mid-day meal, disclosing their Aadhaar number is mandatory. This initiative has helped government in getting rid of more than 4.4 lakh fake students and subsequently save a lot of funds for poor children
Baal Aadhaar will not just support in providing an identity to your child, but will also empower and enable him to reap benefits out of several subsidies under various government schemes. Thus, get your child enrolled for a Baal Aadhaar today, since you will anyway have to do the process for an Aadhaar card in future. So how about making use of this facility today?