Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme – a small savings scheme was launched by the government as a part of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao campaign in January 2015. This scheme, popularly known as girl child prosperity scheme has been particularly designed for protecting the future of girl child. For individuals who have opened their Sukanya Samriddhi Account for their girl child in a post office may face a few difficulties. These difficulties could include constraints due to the location of post offices or also due to the fact that they do not accept any online payments.
Since the start, parents have been extremely enthusiastic about the about the scheme considering the interest rate which is comparatively decent on an investment that is long-term with a long-term lock in period which would help in securing the future of their girl child. On the other hand, the fact that the scheme has authorized only a number of banks to open the accounts under this scheme, but till now only a limited number of banks have started the operation.
The parents who have already opened their child’s account in post offices are waiting for other banks to provide this service. With a situation so, it is apt for parents to know how they can transfer their Sukanya Samriddhi Account from post offices to banks.
- Parents need to visit the post office where you hold your child’s account along with your updated passbook and KYC documents
- The girl child need not accompany the parents at the branch, unless she is managing the account by herself
- Any passbook provided by the post office at the time of opening the account needs to be surrendered or deposited
- The account holder needs to inform the post office executive for closure of the account and that the account needs to be transferred to a particular bank
- Post the account closure, the closure documents need to be submitted at the bank branch where the new account needs to be opened
- A new passbook is produced which would involve the carried forwarded balance from the previous account at post office and post that the new account would be activated at the bank branch for further operations to be carried out
The process of account transferring is quite simple, but may need a few visits. In banks, the account holders can make payments online, through internet banking. For the tech savvy people, transferring your account to a bank would be better since you’d be able make use of better services, as well as better access to technology.